Friday, January 8, 2010

How do I reduce the effects of scars from eczema?

I%26#039;m 19 years old and have had eczema since I was roughly 15. It started just on my stomach cause of the belts I wore, and then on my arms, but that was nothing until this past year. I have it bad on my arms, stomach, half my back, upper thighs, chest, and neck. And I am also half hispanic, so I scar very easily. They aren%26#039;t raised scars or anything, but just dark marks. And they stay, for years. Lotions for dry skin don%26#039;t work, I know that. But even if I do control my eczema, the scars from it will last for a long time. Can anyone relate and possibly know any way to help me with my scars, or eczema? I%26#039;m running out of options! I feel like a leper here!|||HI Amber





Here are some ideas to start the healing process.





Cause


Eczema is often called Dermatitis, and may be a symptom of an omega-3 fatty acid deficiency. Eczema can be due to allergies, allergies secondary to digestive disorders such as hydrochloric acid deficiency, rashes secondary to immune diseases, genetic metabolic disorders, and/or nutritional deficiencies, especially of niacin (vitamin B3) and B6, as well as other B vitamins.





To minimize your risk of developing eczema, avoid irritating substances, wear natural nonirritating materials, use soothing ointments, and check to see if dietary, nutritional, and/or and allergy-causing factors need to be considered.








--------------------------------------鈥?br>




Natural Cures





Aromatherapy: Bergamot, chamomile, lavender, melissa, neroli, eucalyptus, geranium, and/or juniper can help speed healing and relief of symptoms when applied topically to the affected areas.





Diet: Eat an organic, whole foods diet and avoid potentially allergy-causing foods, especially sugar, wheat, milk, and dairy products, including yogurt. Also avoid excess consumption of fruit, especially citrus and sour, as these foods may aggravate symptoms.





Flower Essences: Rescue Remedy庐 for accompanying stress, and Rescue Remedy Cream庐 on the affected areas.





Herbs: Herbal remedies such as cleavers, nettle, yellowdock, or red clover tea or tinctures may be very effective. They are often combined with relaxing herbs such as chamomile, linden flowers, or skullcap. One combination would be equal parts of cleavers, nettle, and chamomile drunk as an infusion three times a day. A stronger mixture combines the tinctures of figwort, burdock, and cleavers in equal parts; take one teaspoon of this mixture three times a day.





To alleviate itching, bathe affected areas of your body with lukewarm or cold chickweed infusion. For cracked, dry, or painful skin, use a salve made from calendula flowers and St. John`s wort leaves.





Goldenseal applied externally may also be helpful.





Homeopathy:Dulcamara, Rhus tox., Sulfur, Arsen alb., and Graphites, taken alone or in combination with each other can help speed healing. Petroleum and Psorinum are also effective homeopathic remedies, but must be taken alone.





Hydrotherapy: Hydrotherapy is the application of water, ice, steam and hot and cold temperatures to maintain and restore health. Treatments include full body immersion, steam baths, saunas, sitz baths, colonic irrigation and the application of hot and/or cold compresses. Hydrotherapy is effective for treating a wide range of conditions and can easily be used in the home as part of a self-care program. Many Naturopathic Physicians, Physical Therapists and Day Spas use Hydrotherapy as part of treatment. I suggest several at-home hydrotherapy treatments.





Juice Therapy: The following juice combinations can help speed healing: black currant and red grapes; carrot, beet, spinach, cucumber, and parsley; and wheat grass juice.





Nutritional Supplementation: Vitamin A and GLA (gamma-linolenic acid), an omega-6 essential fatty acid found in high quantities in evening primrose oil, have both been shown to improve the symptoms of eczema. Vitamin E. Other useful supplements for preventing and reversing eczema include vitamin B complex, vitamin B6, vitamin E, magnesium, and zinc.





Topical Treatment: Apply evening primrose oil directly to cracked and sore areas of the skin. A topical paste made from ginkgo and licorice root extract has also been shown to improve eczema symptoms.





Alternative Professional Care


If your symptoms persist despite the above measures, seek the help of a qualified health professional. The following professional care therapies have all been shown to be useful for treating and relieving the symptoms of eczema: Acupuncture, Ayurveda, Biofeedback Training, Bodywork (Acupressure, Shiatsu, Reflexology), Detoxification Therapy, Energy Medicine (Light Beam Generator, Ondamed, Photon Stimulator), Environmental Medicine, Hypnotherapy, Magnetic Field Therapy (North Pole Magnetic Energy Application), Mind/Body Medicine, Naturopathic Medicine, Orthomolecular Medicine, Osteopathy, and Oxygen Therapy





Best of health to you|||Different things work for different people. It all depends on what causes it. I just get it naturally, I%26#039;ve tried changing everything and checking for allergies, and I just well...have it. I wish you good luck. Report Abuse
|||I%26#039;ve had a lot of luck with the natural solutions for eczmea cure. Check out http://www.fastnotequote.com/EczemaCureReviews.html for a review of a few of them. I tried the #2 pick on this site and had a reasonable amount of success. Report Abuse
|||I have suffered from eczema for years and have figured out a nice combo of products that have worked wonders for my skin. You can check it out here: http://budurl.com/n4d7 Report Abuse
|||Hi Amber,


I%26#039;ve had eczema as long as I can remember, and I although I still search for a permanent cure, I have found ways to deal with the condition%26#039;s causes and effects. Although some people here like to cut and paste the results of searches, what you asked for was help with the effects of scars (and the eczema).





First of all, you%26#039;re not a leper! Eczema affects thousands of people. The degree to which people are afflicted varies, and much research is being to address this hidden epidemic, but many experts agree; there are environmental, diet and immunological factors involved. Get these under control and your condition could improve (or perhaps totally clear up).





To minimize scars I can suggest:


First, don%26#039;t scratch. Sounds silly doesn%26#039;t it? I know, I know, if it didn%26#039;t itch so damm much I wouldn%26#039;t scratch, but what can I do? Well, first cut your fingernails - you%26#039;ll reduce the damage.





Second, try to stay hydrated - drink lots of water (less caffeine and soda) to keep your skin from drying out.





Third, moisturizers are good, but %26#039;hydrating%26#039; lotions are better. Even if you slather yourself in lotion and petroleum neither of those things will seal in ANY moisture if you%26#039;re dry as a bone. I normally take a shower (COLD not hot! I know the hot feels great, but it%26#039;ll dry you out and make your more miserable after wards). Pat dry and then apply any lotions or creams to seal the moisture in. I find that SARNA is great to stop itching and Ami Lactin will turn ashy skin soft. Dead Sea Salts work great in the shower (but sting on open cuts).





Fourth, scar gels, coca butter, ami lactin, and exfoliation%26#039;s can reduce the appearance of scars. The peels and exfoliations may not be good for your skin, but the scars will fade. I%26#039;m Filipino and I have a darker skin tone, so I know how the lightening of patches of skin can be noticeable.





A lot of sun has always helped me also! Some people do UV booths. I%26#039;m moving to a warmer, ocean side climate where my skin is normally better.





There are a lot of things you can do, don%26#039;t give up hope! They%26#039;re finding more treatments all the time as people speak up about eczema. If you can get your symptoms under control you can get your scars taken care of and improve your quality of life.





Good luck!|||Have you tried cocoa butter? I found that the cocoa butter sticks work best.|||I am convinced that your skin conditions and subsequently the scars which the outbreaks leave behind has something to do with an immune deficiency. I think it can be traced back to the vaccines you were given when you were a baby and a child.





Unfortunately, there is not much you can do about it except go to the dermatologist.


Eventually, you may need courses of dermabrasion or laser surgery (which I heard does not help much). Dermabrasion I heard works the best but it is a thousand or more dollars and the down time is a couple of weeks until your new skin grows back.





I don%26#039;t know what to tell you since you have a serious skin condition and products and treatments may only exacerbate the problem.








All I can tell you is that the best thing to use is regular vaseline.


Petrolium jelly not only helps minimize scars, but alleves your skin and sooths it.





Sorry you are afflicted with this, I have my own scars from my skin conditions, so does my brother. And it sucks. best thing to do is take it easy, keep the vaseline on it and don%26#039;t worry about it too much. ok?|||have you tried vitamine e oil i have seen it reduce pretty serious burn scars|||If you have such persistent and widely spread symptoms you definitely need to visit a specialized doctor, and as soon as possible.





BTW I don%26#039;t think that hispanic people scar easily at all. This has nothing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment